FIRE DRILL PROTOCOL FOR
ADAMSTOWN CASTLE AND ESKER EDUCATE TOGETHER
Adamstown Castle ETNS is a 17 classroom school with one library four set rooms and one supplementary room. The Administration block consists of a multi-purpose room( Office for the ACETNS) one Secretary’s room and Principal’s office.
These classrooms are divided into four co-horts.
Classrooms 1, 2, 3, 4 which are downstairs
will be known as cohort A1
Classrooms 5,6,7,8, Which are downstairs
Will be known as co-hort B1
Classrooms 10,11,12,13 Which are upstairs
will be known as co-hort A2
Classrooms 14,15,16,17 Which are upstairs
Will be known as co-hort B2
Purpose of document
To provide a readable and understandable instructions on emergency egress of the building
To develop procedures for the safe and rapid evacuation of the building in case of fire and/or other emergency
To provide a reference document for the assessment of the efficacy of the procedures in place
- Route of Egress
- Co-hort A1 by the main entrance
- Co-hort B1 by the boiler house entrance
Co-hort A2 by the car park exit beside multi purpose room
Co-hort B2 by teacher car park/staff room entrance
- ASSEMBLY POINTS
- In the basketball courts.
Duties of key personnel
Teachers in odd numbered rooms will lead: Known as leader
Teachers in even numbered rooms will take up the rear: known as follower
Designated Person i.e. principal/deputy principal is the point person A and B respectively
- ONCE FIRE DRILL SOUNDS, ALL TEACHERS MUST EVACUATE THEIR CLASSES IMMEDIATELY.
- CLASS TEACHERS MUST BRING THE ROLL BOOK WITH THEM
- CLASS TEACHER MUST CHECK TOILETS BEFORE EXITING
- NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO RETURN TO THE CLASSROOM ONCE HE/SHE HAS EXITED
- Children do not wait to put coats etc on.
- TWO CLASSES WILL EXIT TOGETHER. THE LEADER WILL TAKE THE FRONTOF THE LINE AND FOLLOWER WILL TAKE THE REAR. TWO DESIGNATED CHILDREN WILL HAVE RESPONSIBILITY OF HOLDING THE DOOR OPEN.
- THE FOLLOWER WILL ENSURE THAT THE DOOR CHILDREN EXIT THE BUILDING.
- THE LEADER WILL ENSURE THE QUICK AND ORDERLY EGRESS OF THE BUILDING OF THE TWO CLASSES UNDER HIS/HER CARE
- THE SCHOOL SECRETARY AS THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR OPENING THE FRONT DOOR AND PUTTING IT ON THE LATCH
- THE SCHOOL SECRETARY WILL CARRY THE ‘SIGN IN’ DIARY
- WHEEL CHAIR BOUND PUPILS/ADULTS WILL BE ASSISTED BY THE THE FOLLOWER. THE LAYBY AT THE TOP OF THE STAIR WELL IS A SAFE ZONE FOR THE WHEEL CHAIR BOUND PERSON
- FRONT AND BACK DOORS MUST BE HELD OPEN WHILE THE CHILDREN EXIT THE BUILDING
ONCE ALL CHILDREN HAVE EXITED THE BUILDING THE LEADER IS TO PROCEED TO THE MARKED ASSEMBLY POINTS WITH THE CLASSES UNDER CARE THE CLASSES ARE TO LINE UP BEHIND THEIR RESPECTIVE ROOM NUMBERS
EACH INDIVIDUAL TEACHER WILL CALL THE ROLL TO ENSURE THAT EVERY CHILD IS ACCOUNTED FOR.
ANY RESOURSE TEACHER WITH CHILDREN IN HIS/HER CARE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE CHILDREN UNDER HIS/HER CARE. THE RESOURSE TEACHER WILL ENSURE THAT THESE CHILDREN LINE UP IN THE APPROPRIATE LINES IN THE ASSEMBLY AREA.
ANY CHILD OUTSIDE HIS/HER CLASS WILL GO TO THE NEAREST CLASS WHERE THEY BECOME THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THAT CLASS TEACHER.
All guests must exit the building by the exit indicated in the plan. These guests must assemble in the guest assembly area. Under no circumstances should guest take on responsibility for any children.
- ENTRANCE AND PROCEED TO BASKETBALL COURT.
- TEACHER MUST BE IN FRONT OF CLASS AT ALL TIMES.
- SENIOR ACETNS CLASSES MUST EXIT THE BUILDING VIA THE BACK DOOR FIRE EXIT AND MAKE THERE WAY TO THE BASKETBALL COURT.
- ALL ESKER JUNIOR CLASSES MUST EXIT THE BUILDING VIA THE BOILER HOUSE DOOR AND MAKE THEIR WAY TO THEIR DESIGNATED ARE IN THE YARD.
- ALL SENIOR ESKER CLASSES MUST EXIT THE BUIDLING VIA THE EXIT DOOR AT THE BACK OF THE SCHOOL AND MAKE THEIR WAY TO THE DESIGNATED ARE IN THE BASKETBALL COURT.
- ALL TEACHERS MUST BRING THEIR ROLL BOOKS AND CHECK EACH CHILD IS ACCOUNTED FOR.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST ANYONE RE-ENTER THE BUILDING.
ALL PERSONELL ARE TO STAY IN THE BASKETBALL ZONE UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE ALL CLEAR IS GIVEN.
IN THE EVENT OF AN UNFORSEEN AND IMMEDIATE DANGER ARISING A SENIOR TEACHER MAY EVACUATE THE AREA TO A SAFER ZONE. THIS WILL BE DONE IN AN ORDERLY AND SAFE FASHION.